View Profile Ragekaje

6 Movie Reviews

This is really good! I enjoy you and your dad's sense of humor. I also liked the animation style, it worked well with your humor and sound effects. The only reason I don't give it 5 stars is because of the sound quality, your sound effects blocked out your dad's voice at times. I would also advise using more vocal inflections to bring out more character. Either way, its still good!

FbMan responds:

Thankyou for the comment :/

This was great! I understand no Japanese whatsoever but I still fully enjoyed this. The animation was highly appealing, the sound gave me constant nostalgia, the voice acting was so terrific, I was trying to figure out how you coordinated so many voice actors to speaking a different language so successfully, the story was dramatic, yet flowed much like an RPG would, and the character development left me itching for more.

I understand that you do not want to make a sequel. My comment is: if you're feeling up to it AND you have new ideas as bright as the ones behind this, then go for it. I agree with what you said about so many titles being ruined with sequels. Anyway, I can tell you poured a lot of effort into this so let me tell you, every one of these stars... You've earned them.

I really enjoyed the artistic style you have. I has the details of a sketch but with the such a vibrant color palette. The only problem I have is that the main character dies for a reason unknown to the viewer. I give you 4.5 out of 5.

14 Game Reviews

Josh, your games are flipping amazing!

You managed to build a very deep game in 72 hours that made me reflect on my life. It literally stopped me, and made me aware of my own thoughts and feelings. I can't thank you enough. Bravo!

The art in particular caught my attention right away. There was such a simple, but very intentional use of color, and I love it! The graphics are simple, yet evocative. You managed to capture so many details while keeping all of the characters and scenery very simple, especially the backdrop of the "outside" area. (both in the real world and in Paradise)

Chris Zabriskie did a wonderful job with the music. It certainly fleshed out the tone that you were trying to evoke in both "scenes." (the real world and Paradise) I like the soft pads sound that plays in the real world because it communicates the mood that the character is in; this helps tell the player the emotions that the character is feeling when the dialogue does not. It is also very cool that the Paradise music is off-putting, but not downright creepy. Because it sits somewhere in between somber and unsettling, it conveys a feeling of "I have to get out." Genius.

The story.... man, the story. I think you did a phenomenal job! You managed to make a 3-4 minute gameplay session have a greater impact than most 20+ hour games. The setup is very nicely laid out. The middle of the story (in Paradise) is cool because there are extra characters to talk to, and this more deeply informs the player of the world and the change that was made by entering Paradise. The climax is so well executed that I got chills, and felt fired up. This wasn't a game about winning or losing, but I felt like I won because my character survived, and that made ME want to survive! Kudos! Overall, I don't think there are plot-holes or missing story elements. I think you distilled the story down to its bare minimum, the essential pieces that create such an impact. By not overtly stating every detail to the player, you make them think and wonder; it makes them look more closely at the details, the background, the word choice in dialogue, the stances of each character, etc. I love finding all those details that HAD to be placed in the game with intention.

In terms of gameplay.... well, that's a hard one to critique. I understand that this form of game requires minimal gameplay. So, I cannot say much.

Overall, this is an amazing piece of art! I love it! 5 stars! You make awesome games! Please, never stop doing what you love! I look forward to the next creation! :)

JoshuaStone responds:

Wow, thank you for the very kind words; you have me lost for words on how to respond! It really means a lot to me that there are people who benefit from my work.

Oh, I want to clarify something about the music. Chris Zabriskie produces royalty free music for people to use, and I just used two of his tracks that felt about right. And that was actually in the last 20 minutes or so of the jam. ^^

I certainly see what you were trying to do here, but as a player it is very frustrating to play. :(
I should start by mentioning that I did complete the game. It was arduous and frustrating, but I managed to finish it.

The optical illusion aspect is kind of cool. However, it is kind of a guessing game to figure out which direction the next platform is in. As a player it is not very fun because there are no clues. There is nothing to go on, so it doesn't engage my brain and make me think. I just have to keep trying directions until I find the pattern of directions that works. My suggestion is to find a system that works and embrace it.

One of the paths you could take is to make the game more of a memorization puzzle. If the entire level layout is shown from multiple angles from the start, then the player has a chance to memorize where the platforms are. After that, the player must navigate the level using the confusing and optical illusion perspective. I'm imagining the spinning camera that Super Monkey Ball uses at the start of every level. If you end up doing this, make sure that the player can optionally restart the level to see this spin-down again. They might not want to see it every time they fail, but they will want to see it on command.

The other idea is to allow the player to rotate the stage 90 degrees to view it from a similar perspective but at a different angle. This would make the game more of a spatial puzzle, where the player has to make sense of the level by only seeing orthogonal perspectives.

Either way, if this is your first game, don't get discouraged. My first game was awful and I never let anyone see it. Everyone has a tough time when they start, and that's only because there is a lot to learn. Some people will give you valuable feedback (hopefully mine is valuable) and other people will just say how they feel without giving you suggestions or explaining why. Listen to the feedback, but don't let the criticism keep you from making games.

Don't give up! Keep learning, keep trying, keep getting better! :)

Cool concept! It just needs a bit of polish!

The puzzle concept is very cool, its a basic block pusher with a directional twist. However, it was a very rough ride figuring out what the puzzle mechanic is.

I'd like to start by addressing the art, as I feel it was my first barrier to learning how the game functions. When the first level started up, I took one look at the screen and had NO idea what was going on. I didn't know if I had a character or if he was on screen. I couldn't tell what was space and what was a wall, and I didn't know what the movable block was. The art style you were aiming for is cool. After pushing buttons and starting to figure things out, I realized what you were going for and I think it is cool, but over simplified. There is room for improvement if you can get your art to teach the player just by looking at it. If you can use things like color, shapes, lighting, shading, etc. to teach the player what their character is, and what the objects mean, and where the goal is just by looking at the art, you've saved them a lot of time and helped them get to the awesome part: playing the game!

In terms of level design, each of the puzzles was great. It slowly got more difficult, requiring the player to think slightly outside the bounds of what they did before. But, I do have issues with the first level. After being confused by the art, I had to press buttons and learn things the hard way. I figured out quickly that I seem to control the green thing. I moved my green thing (presumably a dude) over to the pinkish, greyish thing, which upon first inspection, looked like a dude with a mustache. (the black "arrow" was a little misleading at first) I tried to push it sideways, but it looked like I glitched the game and that the thing moved diagonally instead of straight. (I understand this is supposed to happen, but as a new player, I couldn't understand why) Needless to say, I had to fiddle with it for several minutes before understanding the concept, why the block moves two spaces sometimes, why it moves diagonally other times, etc. My suggestion is to add even more introductory levels that have basic blocks. (without arrows) If the player first grabs onto the idea of moving a block, they will have a stronger foothold when figuring out the directional blocks. Even if you seldom or never return to basic blocks, starting with them is well worth it!

In terms of sound design, there isn't much to say. :/ I wish there was some ambient puzzle solving music in the background. If you're willing to put in the work, you could have some sort of series of quick notes when the player moves a block, (maybe C E G played very quickly, etc.) then have it play twice on the directional blocks that move more than one space. This could help the player learn that it essentially moved twice. Even more, you could have the rewind function play the notes in reverse to indicate a backwards movement through time. That would be cool! :) Feel free to use all these ideas.

All in all, it seems like you enjoyed making this! I enjoyed playing it! I think you have a sharp mind for design! Keep up the great work, never stop learning and implementing new things! I look forward to what you come up with next! :)

27 Audio Reviews

Very Rockin'!
That's a pretty awesome track! It definitely needs a lead melody playing over some of the parts, though. The guitar riffs were really catching and transitioned nicely without being redundant or samey. Great job!

I understand that its still a work in progress, but there's a couple mix items that stood out to me:
The cymbals sounded like they were on a compressor linked to the snare and/or kick drum, because the cymbals kept fading in and out when the snare/kick played, so much that it was noticeable. Dial that back a bit if you can. If you don't have a compressor that's doing that sidechain action, try giving the mix some headroom by dialing the volume down on all the tracks, and then bring the volume up at the end of your master with limiter.
There was some frequency that I think either the bass guitar or the toms were giving off that sounded like a distant rumbling. I'm not sure if you have a lot of reverb on those instruments, but I would dial those back a tad, too; it will make them sound tighter and more punchy.

Definitely a killer track though! I look forward to hearing the final product!

bipolarmunkey responds:

Thanks for the awesome review! I really appreciate it! I don’t have any compression on the crash but now that you point it out I can hear what you mean. As for the distant rumbling, that was my failed attempt at ‘bass booms’ lol. I’ll have to lower the bass and kick and gain stage em a lil better. Thanks again for listening!

Hey man! I just have to say that you have an awesome voice! I listened to a couple of the other voice recordings you have; you are super talented!

In terms of mic choice, I find that this is our job as the performer/sound engineer to choose the mic that best fits the project. It is cool that you have a display that showcases several different options at your disposal, but only another person who uses mics in a studio all the time could truly hear a difference, and would be able to make a suggestion. This is just something I noticed because my non-musician friends can't even hear the difference in my guitars.

Anyways, you have a real talent! I hope you get some opportunities to work in some projects soon! If you do, let me know, I would be excited to check them out! :) Keep up the awesome!

Tanekoshima responds:

Aw, shucks, thanks Ragekaje!

I do have that mentality, I just thought it'd be nice to showcase how my mics sound to allow people with a broader understand of audio to directly choose which one they think would suit their project better, but, of course, I'll make that choice in case they don't bahahah

Either way, thanks for the kind words! I hope you find success too!

Sweet tune!

With a little bit of mixing, this could be an awesome lo-fi chill song!

The piano part is catchy and works nicely with those drums! I love that you kind of lay the ground work with the piano in the first half, and then spice it up in the second half. It expands the tone of the piece with extra flavor, but stays faithful to the original melody. In terms of arrangement, I think it needs a little bit more instrumentation. A bass would really help round out the whole song and make it feel a bit more complete. You could also throw in some strings that lightly play long chords in the back just to fill in some of that sonic space.

The mix is clean but quiet. You could certainly bring up the overall volume of the piece while maintaining that quiet feeling. If you were to add more instruments, it would take some intentional mixing moves to make sure they all play nicely with each other in the sonic spectrum. Still, you did a good job keeping the dynamics of the song well balanced. (loud parts and soft parts are clear, but not overly contrasted)

Overall, I think you've got a cool little tune! I think it needs more instruments, (just one or two) but that is just my personal preference. Great job! Keep it up! :)

2 Art Reviews

Pretty cool!

What did you use to make it? What paints, canvas, etc? How long did it take?

Templar180 responds:

I used acrylic paints,a thin canvas, and it took me about four hours. I t has a lot of layers so the colors can look solid.

Hey, I like your art!

I think you have some pretty good talent and great potential!

There is something I have noticed that I think might help: You have a lot of internal lines that define the wrinkles and curvature of the person you're drawing and the clothes they're wearing, etc. I think if you short up those lines and even remove some of them, it will make the surface you're drawing look a lot smoother. For instance, in this one, the jacket and skirt have so much definition that they look a wrinkled (like my clothes always do because I forget they're in the dryer, lol!) Try to challenge yourself and think "if I could only draw three internal lines to define the shape of this object, where would they be, and how long would I make them?"

Either way, really cool stuff! Keep up the work! :)

Templar180 responds:

Wow. That is a really good idea. I will try that.Thank you.

This is cute and it made me smile! :)

Templar180 responds:

Yep. This is my Super Smash Bros character.

Metal-head who loves early morning coffee and chill chiptunes. I love to write music and really enjoy instrumental stuff. I mostly do rock/metal but I'm getting into retro sounds and absolutely love it. I would love to write music for your game!

OPEN FOR COMMISSIONS!