Entities Of The Earth Entities Of The Earth

Very cool!

That was a very clever and interesting use of acoustic guitars! They carried the same intensity that overdriven electric guitars usually have. The drums were powerful, tight, and though they were simple, they did a great job supporting the complex rhythms that dominate the piece. The bass was strong and full of energy, filling in all the gaps, and brought those chorus-like sections to life.

My only complaints are how scooped out the guitars are and how similar the early sections are. The acoustic melodies are often overshadowed by the highs of the strumming. The same goes for the electric solo around 3:00. I think they just need a little boost somewhere in the mid-range where the frequencies of their notes lie. As for the section similarities, its hard to pick apart the first few sections because all of the instruments are firing on all cylinders all the time. Consider having the drums drop out for one measure while the guitars finesse their way through an awesome lick, or maybe vice-versa. The drums could steal the spotlight for a measure to take the song back into a different section.

The low-key section near 2:40 is really cool! I like how the drums drive the rhythm while the guitars just come and go to highlight certain beats, then come in pushing these awesome tones!

I still think the track is way too awesome to let a couple of complaints get in the way! This is a really cool progressive rock track! Awesome job! Keep up the fantastic work!

Concept and Morality Concept and Morality

Interesting!

I like the sound of the synths you used. There's a nice balance in the mix, each part comes in clearly, and there are no harsh tones.

If this is just a demo, like a prototype, I am interested to see how you manage to use the new instrumentation to smooth out the transitions. Guitars and drums will definitely give this a completely different feeling. The transition at 0:39 is very abrupt and jarring. This could be fixed with clever instrumentation, though. Plus, the loop from the end to the beginning is abrupt as well. While it matches in intensity, the rhythms supporting the melodies are strikingly different. That said, I really like the growing intensity throughout the entirety of the song.

Are you planning on using acoustic guitars, clean electric guitars, overdriven guitars, some combination of those? I am very curious.

Even though it is a rough sketch for a loop with great melodies and supportive rhythms, but I would recommend working on the transitions. Looping music needs to have smooth transitions, otherwise it is constantly slapping the listener to get their attention. However, that all depends on what the music is made for.

Great demo! Keep at it! I want to hear the final product and how you envisioned it!

ConceptSama responds:

im actually creating a full song and im gonna play the song live with my guitar i play electric guitar thats how i came up with the ideas i played them first then put them into the computer. im no drum expert but i used a basic beat to keep time in the changed time signature
i just loop it when its not finished
and i shall work on la transitions thats some thing i have trouble programing into a computer
thank you i really appreciate all the feedback

Waiting for a miracle Waiting for a miracle

Jammin'!

I am not hugely familiar with this genre, specifically, but I have listened to my fair share of electronica. Your mix is fantastic! The bass is blasting out my speaker and the percussion is smacking me in the face, all without losing any clarity in your synths! I listened closely a couple times and here is what I noticed:

My main concern is a composition issue. Your track is dominated by a major scale and this upbeat tone. I was expecting a shift into a minor key at some point. Somewhere towards the end of the softer section at 1:00 would have been a great place for it. If there was a sadder melody playing in the section before the snare build, (maybe around 1:30) it would make that crescendo at 2:10 feel even more powerful! The lack of a tonal shift also presents us with a storytelling dilemma. Your song tells a story of waiting for this miracle in the most upbeat fashion, never losing hope, never faltering. I would relate more to the song if the melodies started to sound sadder, as if they were about to give up. One sad melody would make the happier ones sound even more joyous!

Another thing that sits a little off with me is the piano (possibly a different instrument) that starts at 0:37. The short sustain on the piano clashes with the kick and snare that are still driving that awesome beat. I recommend replacing it with a different instrument for the section at 0:37 and also at 3:24. Make sure the replacement is more intense than the piano, but less so than the synths that drive the song. However, I would leave the piano in at the section at 1:00 because it fits the tone that section.

Regardless of my complaints, I am still jamming out as I type. This is a fantastic piece, keep up the awesome work!

Demonic-Overmind responds:

Thanks a lot for the review.

Actually, I suck at writing melodies with specific mood, but I'm practicing to get it right. The minor key-shifting would've been awesome, I didn't think of it :P

Those bells, I don't think they're actually clashing because I EQ'd them properly. but yes, I did over-compress this track while mastering so they're sounding like that(maybe).

Battle Frenzy Battle Frenzy

*screen swirls and boss appears*

It definitely sounds like a boss battle theme! It has great energy, good balance in the mix, good instrumentation, and a powerful melody. My qualms are with the composition.

The main melody is repetitive. If this was playing the entire time I was fighting a boss in a JRPG, I would eventually turn the volume down pretty far. That one-measure melody does not have enough variation. Moving that melody up or down in the scale would help vary it a little. Maybe if the track gets more intense and the melody plays up a 3rd or a 5th, that would give it some diversity. If the track mellows out a bit more, maybe it starts slowly building that melody back in but at a lower octave. Along with varying that melody, there should be some varying sections.

Specifically, the song lacks a flow between two distinct levels of intensity. Throughout this track, there is a substantial amount of energy. A great way to mix it up, would be to transition to a more mellow section. Perhaps, the percussion is still playing just as fast, but is keeping a more down-trodden beat. At the same time, maybe the strings could fill in the space with some long chords. You have a section that touches on this, but it does not dive fully into that idea. That section has to feel almost like a cooldown, that way it can build the tension back into that intense melody.

I would take a look at the battle music from the Final Fantasy series. I am most familiar with VII so I will reference that. The fight music in that game follows a formula of sorts. There is a strong driving rhythm in the beginning, and as it goes from one section to the next, it keeps building the tension and then releasing just a little bit to build it back up again. There are always softer parts that crescendo back into the intense melodies.

Overall, the mix is great, there is a good balance across the board. Each instrument seems to fill its space in the spectrum and serve its role in the composition quite nicely. Even though that melody is repetitive, it is catchy as hell! Nicely done!

Either way, this is a cool track and you are very talented! Keep up the good work!

To Far Lands (Concept Overworld Theme) To Far Lands (Concept Overworld Theme)

Very retro-fantasy!

The overall instrumentation and composition make it feel very much like a Zelda game or an early Final Fantasy. Each instrument clearly serves its purpose and helps drive the song. The rolling snare serves as percussion and adds to the sense of "moving forward." The cymbals help control the energy in the transitions. A loud and proud brass section drives that main melody home, while the strings playing quietly in the back lends to that feeling of it being an expansive world.

Overall, it is a good piece. Depending on what sort of game you wrote for, the direction you need to aim for varies greatly. I have no problem picturing this playing while running through the fields of Hyrule. There is a lot of action going on in this music, so the game would have to be pretty action oriented. On the other hand, most JRPG's feature a grid system with limited movement, meaning you might want something a little less exciting, but still just as adventurous.

The mix is good. I can hear every instrument playing. (snare, bass, cymbals, brass, bells, strings, and maybe even a choir in the back?) However, I would recommend adding some slight automation to emphasize the main melody just a bit. Also, bring the bell volume down a little bit.

Anyways, its a good track! Keep up the good work!

A village's call to arms A village's call to arms

This evokes some imagery!

I really like your composition, instrumentation, and the mix. It definitely conveys the scene you were picturing. I could easily imagine a village going about its normal routine and then someone spots armed forces over the hill in the distance. They alert the village, and the men proceed to take up arms. This song could easily be placed in a short cinematic telling that story. There are many awesome things you did to paint that picture, but there were a few things that work against that goal.

Your choice of instruments really helps convey the humble scenery in the village. The small number of instruments help paint the settlement as a tight-knit community, rather than a bustling city. The slow addition of percussion and horns builds the song from a calm, simple day to a tense situation. I do, however, have complaints about the composition.

The fight seems very abrupt. The tension conveyed in the battle seems to leave quicker than it came. After all, if the song is about the battle, the battle should be the majority of the track. (instead, because the battle is only 1/5 of the song, it feels like the song is about the village that experiences raids on a daily basis) I recommend having a few measures of great intensity or very low energy during the fight. This would help paint the battle as brutal and chaotic, or sorrowful and dark, respectively. As for the transitions, there is a nice flow between each section of the song, except for the transition between "C" and "A." (between the battle and the resolution) With the transition happening as fast as it does, this paints the picture of a town immediately going back to its business after fending off raiders. There should be a measure or two of near-silence, perhaps just one stringed instrument playing the main melody at half-time and with a bit more sadness. Then, slowly bring the instruments back to the main theme, but with a certain sorrow, as if the village had lost some of its people.

Do not be mistaken. This song is great! I really enjoyed it! It stirred my memories of Final Fantasy 7 and other fantasy RPG's. Keep up the great work and never give up!

EagleGuard responds:

Hi there Ragekaje,

Thank you very much for writing that in-depth review! Fully agree with you on all points of criticism, and it's definitely something I will keep in mind for future compositions. Musical form can still be a bit tricky for me at times, but adding some more sections would probably have benefitted the song, I agree.

Thanks again for taking your time to write such a expansive review, and I'm glad you liked the piece overall!

WARNING WARNING

Interesting!

I am unsure what to think of this track. I really like the instrumentation and the mix, but the composition bewilders me. I really want to crank this and jam to it, but there are so many different rhythms happening that I cannot follow it. It certainly sounds like it could be in a video game, but I cannot think of anywhere I would expect it to be. There are no games, genres, or scenes that come to mind when I listen. The emotions or aesthetics you are trying to convey are lost to me.

The polyrhythms are certainly unique, but I'm not sure if it helps the track. It seems to want to go to two different places, but never reaches either. The light melody is trying to go one way, but the mid-range rhythm synth is trying something different. I want to move my head with the music, but I don't know whether to follow the drums, the bass, or the lead melody. The polyrythm technique is very useful for building tension, so I would use it sparingly. You should use it to build a crescendo. Also, I would very up the melody a little bit more, it gets repetitive a little too fast. I noticed it does drop down and plays an arpeggio in a minor chord, but perhaps have the melody play something different on every fourth repetition, or every third time in groups of four.

I am curious what software you used and what time signature you wrote it in. (or if each part was written differently)

In short, the sound is great, but the composition just needs to be a little clearer. Don't give up! :)

Apocalypse - Shx Dubstep Apocalypse - Shx Dubstep

I like the composition! It has a strong build into a crescendo, and then rides that energy level for the rest of the duration. The oscillations are strong but do not drown out the quieter instruments playing in the background. My complaints are that it is not long enough, and there's a distinct gap in the lower part frequency spectrum. I really wanted to hear it go on for a little longer, perhaps to have another, but slightly different, quiet part and build back into the crescendo again. As for the frequency gap, I need a little more bass. When I say bass, I'm talking about the frequencies between about 100 hz and 400 hz. (my ears are not great in that regard and I don't have an equalizer to play with the song.) I would recommend looking at your frequency outputs in post, and make sure there are no drastic dips in any range. Watching the Bars visualizer, your song seemed a little lacking in the mid-range. Try to make sure its fairly balanced between 20 hz and 20 khz. This helps the song sound full on any set of speakers, as each set of speakers emphasizes certain ranges.

It does sound better than any Dubstep I could attempt! Keep up the good work! Don't give up!

RFetra responds:

Thank You :D Yeah i will continue the project, i'm trying to make something good to ear and it's hard but i'll keep it , thank you ;)

Djent in 53/16 Djent in 53/16

This is sick! I immediately cranked this to bang my head with it blaring out of my Harbinger V2112 loudspeaker!

Your title hooked me. I really wish I could see the sheet music for this. Also, I had no idea what polyrhythms and polymeter were before seeing this. So, you have tangentially taught me some music terminology.

What program did you use to write/record/"perform" this?

My only complaint is the lack of bottom end in the guitar riff. I would recommend either allowing the bass section to fill in underneath instead of it playing such high notes, or to have a clean electric guitar playing the same section as the distorted one to fill in those frequencies that a distorted guitar has trouble filling. The latter would allow the bass to continue bouncing around in the upper register, which actually sounds cool! (also, I'm not sure how much you mixed this, but it actually sounds more balanced out of my tiny laptop speakers than out of my huge monitor)

I listened to this riff on loop the whole time I wrote this. I am still jamming out as I type!
Rock on!

Cinematic Chipstep Cinematic Chipstep

Its just missing a little something.

I like this tune. It has a somber melody with an ambient back-beat.

I'm not sure what kind of emotions you were trying to evoke or what kind of picture you were trying to paint. I was left feeling like its missing a little bit of something.

The "intro" runs on a little long. The bass waits too long to come in. I expected it at about 0:35. Adding a snare sound and cranking the intensity with the other instruments would help at 1:06.

Regardless of my criticism, it is a cool piece. It makes me think of that point in an old RPG where the origins of the world are revealed, or a large revelation changes the focus of the hero. I can imagine this playing over a montage of epic scenery.